Monday, November 8, 2010

If only......

I had a long conversation with Hubby yesterday. We were thinking.... if only we are well-off..we would do so much more for Rayyan. I just read a blog about a mum who sent her boy for various therapies.. The boy has ABA therapy, 5x a week occupational therapy, speech therapy and social classes. I have checked out these private centres before and I know they cost a bomb! I think the boy's therapies alone could easily cost thousands per month. On top of that, the mum could afford to stop working so that she could focus entirely on the boy. And of course, the boy has made so much improvement with all these interventions.

If only we are well-off too..... We definitely can't afford all these therapies and I often feel that Rayyan is being tragically short-changed. He has so much potential but we don't have the means to make him reach his true potential. I remember that when he was 2+ and we sent him to SPD, the teachers there were so impressed with him. They said that he was really smart, he could do so many stuffs and he was superb with the table activities. They even told me that he was 'high functioning' and I shouldn't worry because he will definitely talk!

I also remember the time when he was first assessed by a senior ABA therapist. The therapist also said that he has 'very high potential' and will show vast improvements with ABA therapy. Sadly, I had to stop his ABA therapy because it really took a toll on our finances. I also can't stop working to take care of him full-time. We just can't afford it. And because of this Rayyan is not really making any progress... or rather, his progress is slow and he is not reaching his true potential.

A few weeks ago, his centre supervisor called me to inform me of the centre's changes for 2011. They will have 3-day sessions (shorter hours) and 2-day sessions and the supervisor suggested that we go for the 3-day sessions because of his age and also because he is 'moderately functioning'. I totally agree with her that 3-day sessions would be better for Rayyan but I was somehow sad when I heard the term 'moderately functioning'. Of course I am not blaming the supervisor for saying that. I was sad because it was a reflection of what we had done for him so far.... which is definitely not enough. Rayyan is getting older but he is not making much progress.

So we really have a lot of bucking up to do. Especially so since we don't have the means to send him to various therapy sessions. We must do as much as we can, within our means, in whatever way we can....

Please help me God
Show me the way....