Monday, May 10, 2010

Updates from Teacher Fadilah :)

Every week, Rayyan's teacher from AAS, Fadilah, will send me updates regarding Rayyan's progress there. Since I can't be there, I am very thankful to her for sending me constant updates via SMS and e-mail. She also gives me tips on how to teach Rayyan and improve on his behaviour. Thank u soooo much Fadilah! I am thankful that we have a cordial parent-teacher relationship even though Rayyan just started at AAS. He is lucky to have such a dedicated and patient teacher :)

Anyway, this is the latest update I just received from Fadilah. I decided to post it here so that I can keep track of his progress...


Teaching Time
Transiting to teaching time smooth. He know which location to go to when I gave him a card to match. (Ernie picture to Teaching Time). He knows the system well where he needs to do 3 tasks on the table before getting a toy to play.
I've also included your helper to take my place for 3 simple tasks to see if he could generalise with her as she had difficulty teaching him at home. I understand that he only wants you to teach him at home.
This is probably because he has learnt by association which most children with asd faces.
He associates that mummy plays this role and daddy or helper could not play the same role as her therefore generalising is very important. It would be great if you could include your husband or your helper during one of your teaching with Rayyan (not for the whole session but part of the task. eg. simple puzzle.)

Fadilah is right... he associates learning with me. I have asked Daddy and helper to take turns doing the teaching recently. Rayyan is fine with Daddy but didn't want to follow instructions given by my helper. We will work on this.


PECs
I asked your helper if you could bring fries for me to practice his PECs since he's requesting it at home. This is also for generalisation. Would also like if you could bring his PECs file to school too since it is his communication tool and it should be with him all the time.

I have not worked actively on his PECs yet. I need to read up more on this to make sure I am doing it right. He knows how to differentiate the pictures, pick them out and pass them to me but we have not gone to the 'sentence' stage yet.


Work Time
Work time is when the child independently does his tasks on his own independently. No adult should give any prompts to the child. The tasks given should be tasks that the child has learnt and can do on his own.(eg. puzzles/ shoebox tasks) Currently, Rayyan has been doing his worktime which is placed 3 steps away from his teaching time. The location cue which i used for worktime is a green star. Next week, I will move his work time location to the yellow table near the door.


I have not asked him to work independently yet. Not sure how to do this. Will need Fadilah's guidance on this.

Circle Time
Rayyan has been doing very well for circle time. No crying was heard and he was able to attend throughout the session. He even imitated the teacher when she did some songs with the children.


Yay!! Well done, Rayyan!

Snack Time
Transition to snack time from circle is smooth this week. He held my hands and went to the toilet together. Could you get a small snack bag for him to put in his snack and water bottle? Reason is for him to get his snack easily and independently.

Have been scouting around for a suitable snack bag. The teacher prefers a hand carry bag which is easy to handle. I found an easy-to-open and light backpack. Hope that's suitable. Will guide Rayyan in using the bag.

Learning Corner
He still flits here and there and play with the animals mostly. I noticed that he took a particular animal book and would bring it to the table and will jump ard and stim. I took the book away from him because I wanted him to read in the reading corner. He cried for a while then quickly ran off to the Rainbow corner to play with the animals. When he came back for the same book, i managed to make him sit down at the reading corner without crying. As he was reading, he heard his peers singing a happy birthday song at the Home corner. He stopped and went to look at what they were doing and went back to reading corner before clapping his hands.

Yup, I have the same problem! But good to hear that he is at least more aware of his surroundings..


Music Time
Transition was smooth from Banana to Music till we closed the Music door. He cried loudly just like how he cried the day before. I believed it was because of what had happened yesterday. He probably remembered he cried the day before and kept waving his hands. When I mentioned about the routine which i broke for him yesterday, i meant its the predictable routine that he knew. He knew after music, he'll see auntie and its time to go home. He's confused y teacher needs to bring him back to music time again. previously, this happens when i brought him to the music room with your helper during teaching time. He cried and went and look for her during the actual music time.

Like Fadilah said, most probably he didn't like his routine being changed. But from what I know, he is not the sort who is a stickler for routines. Hopefully, his behaviour will improve in the next session.

Btw, we can always borrow teaching materials (books, toys, etc) from AAS so that we can work with our child at home and Fadilah has been supplying me with stuffs to work on at home. Here are some of them...






Thank you once again, Fadilah! Will work on the things that you mentioned. Looking forward to more updates :)