Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Imitate

When I told my friends of Rayyan's boot story, everybody commented on how cute he is. They also told me not to worry about him not initiating a conversation.  The thing is, I am still worried because he wasn't initiating a conversation but actually, he was merely imitating.  You see, his world now is full of imitations, for example, he will imitate an episode he saw on TV or books he read if he sees something familiar.  He will also link the things he sees or hears to nursery rhymes or songs.

For example, when he exclaimed, "My Boots!  I want my Boots!" at H&M, he was actually imitating a scene in Dora the Explorer where Boots lost his boots!  The boots were floating down the river and Boots was going after them.  So Rayyan was imitating that scene.

Also recently, Hubby wanted to go to the market to get some food stuffs. 
Me : Say bye to Daddy.  Daddy is going to the market.
Rayyan : To market, to market to buy a fat pig!!
After laughing so hard, I said, "Daddy is not buying a pig.  We can't eat pig." Hehe

Another incident was during his OT session..
Therapist : 1, 2...
Rayyan : Buckle my shoe! 3, 4.. shut the door!

And another one..
Me: Ooohhhh... you like this FEATHER on Mummy's blouse?
Rayyan : Yankee Doodle came to town, riding on a pony.  He stuck a FEATHER in his cap and called it macaroni!!

So YES, his world is full of nursery rhymes and tv shows and books he read.  And YES, I am worried that he can't answer my questions but see connections in that manner.  And YES, I'll definitely try to do something about it.

But most importantly, YES, at the same time, I am going to enjoy this moment because he really is cute and funny!!!!!  No point pulling all my hair out over this, right??