Monday, November 30, 2009

Dumbo

Dumbo is a little elephant with enormous ears. In fact, his ears are so big that he trips over them all the time, producing all kinds of problems. Dumbo is mocked about his ears and snubbed when his clumsiness embarrasses the other elephants. But one day Dumbo discovers that his ears are large enough to act as wings. Upon realizing that Dumbo can fly, his only friend cries, "The very things that held you down are going to carry you up!" As the movie ends, Dumbo is rich, famous and admired by all, performing in the circus as "the world's only flying elephant."

Finding your child's way on the Autism Spectrum - Dr Laura Hendrickson

I am currently reading this book written by a psychiatrist who found out that her son is autistic when he was 2+. She quit her job, helped her son overcome his difficulties and her son was selected as the valedictorian in his high school and is now in one of the top universities in US. Indeed, I have heard lots of stories of famous, brilliant people who are autistic or suspected of being in the autism spectrum... Beethoven, Mozart, George Orwell, Hans Christian Andersen, Einstein, Newton.. just to name a few...

While I can't afford to quit my job, I will do whatever that is within my means to help him. Like Dumbo, I know he will face many challenges and difficulties. As a teacher, I have witnessed how these children are treated in school.. ostracized and mocked. I really hope that Rayyan will overcome this one day. I do not expect him to grow up to be a genius scientist or anybody famous for that matter. I just want him to acquire skills so that he can live independently and I want him to grow up with strong moral values to guide him in life.

Oh God, like Dumbo, please let my Rayyan soar one day...

Love this little lullaby Dumbo's mum sang to him... I teared when I read this. Plan to sing this to Rayyan every night...

Baby mine, don't you cry,
Baby mine, dry your eyes.
Rest your head, close to my heart,
Never to part, baby of mine.
Little one, when you play,
Don't you mind what they say.
Let those eyes sparkle and shine,
Never a tear baby of mine.
From your head to your toes,
You're so sweet, goodness knows.
You are so precious to me,
Cute as can be, baby of mine.