Thursday, April 8, 2010

Why must the children suffer?

This post is not specifically about Rayyan, just something very general. I just need to blog about this....

This afternoon, my ex-student came to the school. He's not exactly an ex-student, in fact, he has to be in school but he has to take a break because of bone cancer.

Anyway, when I saw him, I almost cried. He lost so much weight, was really pale and as I got closer to him, I noticed a mean, long surgery scar from his knee all the way to his ankle. He was also limping and told me that he just had an operation and his bone had been replaced with a piece of metal.

By this time, more students were coming over to talk to him and I saw how hard he tried to be cheerful. It was totally heart-wrenching. I was holding back my tears all the time... To make matters worse, I felt really, really bad... I knew about his condition but didn't have the chance to see him as I was too busy. But really, no matter how busy I was, I could have spared some time to pay him a visit...

So we talked, I asked about his condition, his treatments, etc... I then treated him to a McDonald's meal and then sent him home. On the way to his place, he talked about his treatment... about how he has to be in hospital for a week and go through chemotherapy for 5 days straight everytime he is there. And each time, he has to go through 6 hours of chemotherapy... sometimes from 9pm to 3am! He talked about how fearful he is whenever he sees the chemo medicine. He talked about how he couldn't eat days after chemotherapy because he doesn't have the appetite and feels nauseous. He talked about how his first two medicines were not suitable for him and he had horrible rashes. He talked about how he misses school and friends....

And all the while, I was choking back my tears... I know that this is seriously immature but I still have to ask... WHY? Why must children suffer? What have they done wrong? Why must there be children who suffer from chronic illnesses? Why must there be children who have special needs? Why must there be children who are tortured and beaten to death? Simply, why must some children suffer so much more than others or deprived of a normal, healthy life?

I wish I have the answers because right now, life seems so dark and cruel... I know you have your reasons God. I know you have a special place for them in heaven in the afterlife but for now, please help lessen the sufferings of these children....